Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Current memorization

I have a folder full of "things to memorize", I got the list off a website years ago and have added to it as I come across things. Every school day we spent 15-20 minutes going over our current memorization items. I think this helps the kids really get these things into their long term memory banks. I have a very hard time with memorization, I mean a really hard time and I think my problem is a stumbling block for the kids. When I started the memorization folder I would do some here and there but now we are doing it daily- or at least daily as far as the days we do school work. . No really, we are doing pretty good right now! I have been home the last three days when I would have been out some and it makes such a huge difference!

So anyway here is our current memorization list plus what we are finishing up and soon to be starting:

*some of this we are still going over for Emilys sake, Matt and Kate already know it.

Days of the week

Months of the year

address

current poem- Against Idleness and Mischief, by Isaac Watts

Books of the Bible- we just started this and are on the first 10

Current grammar definition- we have a poster of the parts of speech and we are just picking one and learning the definition. Simply hanging a peg for the future!

vowels

counting by 2,3 and 4

Scripture of the week- Galatians 5:22

Fruits of the Spirit- we just started our study on this so after we have learned the verse and go on to another verse we will still go over the list of fruits each day.

Months Poem- FLL poem that helps remember how many days each month has


Character word- we are working on Gratitude



This is the going to be started or just started list:

The Lords Prayer- we will start this week. I found a neat printable game to go with it

Review of old FLL poems- I just randomly have them review a poem we have already learned

Science definitions- I have decided just this week to add this, we will simply go over some of the definitions we are learning to hopefully burn them into our brain!

States- we will be doing this basically in the order they became states! We have started with Delaware, I wanted to do the state lap books at the same time but that is taking more time so we will just continue with learning all the states and do the lap books as we get to them.

Presidents- This was supposed to happen this year but I think we have gotten through about 5 presidents, so I have to step this up!!!!





3 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow, so how much of that do you go over each day? All of it?

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

When will you add Hail Mary and Glory to The Father?