Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Join in if you want to!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No way, I dont think I kept any of them!!!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
not extremely close.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Um does the USA count?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
better finances and less weight! I guess will power!
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I cant remember so I guess they weren't etched on my memory!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I am not trying to be negative but i dont feel I accomplished much this year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
weight loss and not keeping my temper in check
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
no we are all healthy!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
my camera, which I have since LOST!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Honestly probably my husbands, we have on and off but he was more on this year I think!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Honestly keeping it real here probably mine?
14. Where did most of your money go?
to a big fat nothin store- probably Walmart
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
our Branson Vacation and our Garner trip basically any travel! Oh and seeing Amy Grant in concert!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
wow, I dunno know.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) poorer or richer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
losing weight, exercising
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
have less fear and anxiety
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with the kids!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I was already in love!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Greys Anatomy or Men in Trees
23. I skipped this question....it asked if you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year. Bad question! Can't think of a good replacement...any ideas?
24. What was the best book you read?
Tales of Despereaux
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Um an IPOD??
26. What did you want and get?
a camera and wireless printer (got it, till I lost the camera!)
27. What did you want and not get?
a few less pounds
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I cant really think of my favorite but I guess I will pick Prince Caspian!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Um my birthday was spent in a hotel room with NO electricity so not so much fun! I turned 31
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
losing some weight and have a significant amount in savings, after having paid off most of our debt!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
jeans and polo
32. What kept you sane?
diet coke and blogging
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Easy, Sarah Palin
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
I guess no one- does the cast of Men in Trees count?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I do have enough.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Leave all your cares behind you
The sun is rising
Turn around -it's right in front of you
and it's a beautiful life
and it's a beautiful time
to be here, to be here, to be here
From Beautiful World (Fisher)
It's the theme song on TLC for all their shows.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
She has joined the others of billions on the planet who have internet! She has not had internet except for possibly the library and I am so excited for her to be on the internet at home! I am just not a phone talker and I have to print out and mail her my blog if I want her to read it! AKKK. So now we can converse through email and I will eventually convince her to join the blogger world- my other sister abstains completely and rarely even reads mine! (If you are reading this Amy-thanks!)
I am just so excited!
So Kristal, today you are officially welcome to the world of blogging. I shall convince you to start your own blog shortly- as soon as you get used to everything!
The instruction are go to blogger.com, start blog, you must think of an awesome name first! Than you start blogging! IT is awesome, as all the millions of bloggy women out there will agree!
Now instruction on how to comment on MY blog. At the bottom of this post will be comments, you click on it and than you fill out the comment box and sign in with a google account (which you will have to set up-email me if you need help!!!)
Why, because I simply love comments!
Okay so after you read this post and comment please be sure and show the kids a picture of their FAVORITE Aunt Carrie and tell them I love them!
Monday, December 29, 2008
Meet Carrie from Thoughts, Ponderings and Musing!
Someone searched google for her blog by typing in Carrie Thompson's blog and found MINE!
So our instant blogging buddie status begin!
an obvious love of blogging
A name Carrie Thompson (spelled exactly the same)
A daughter named Katie
We are both Christians
We both HOMESCHOOL
oh and both of our post yesterday include the board game we loved playing!
I am flabbergasted!
So please visit Carrie, if you love me surely you will love her as much!
Update: So we are visiting via email and unbelievably her middle name is Elizabeth too! Oh my goodness!
Sunday, December 28, 2008
So today I was at a friends house (shout out to Becky!) and we ate lunch and played a new game her dh got for Christmas. It was digital Travel Pursuit. Basically the same except you have a little machine instead of cards- you download the categories you want from the Internet and than use that for your questions! We got to choose the categories and a sub category...
we choose: or something similar to these!
Anyway, I cant remember the exact categories but what I do remember is....
I didnt technically because we had to quit and I "won" because I was the only one who had all the triangles filled! But hey I had answered all those questions right!
I have never won a trivia game especially one played anywhere in the vicinity of my dh!
Awesome! I love playing board games!
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Update: I still cannot find it...I am freaking OUT. 4:21pm
Friday, December 26, 2008
It is keeping me from joy.
It is keeping me from life.
It is keeping me from serving.
It is keeping me from being me.
It is keeping me from so many things.
I am tired of it. I am so tired of it that I have decided to get rid of it. I. am. tired.
Now you might wonder what I will do to get rid of this weight...
I will pray,
I will act,
I will fight,
I will change,
I will do so many things.
Check back in a while and see if I am making progress with my change. I am sure that I will eventually share this burden but for now I must keep it closed up inside because it is my trial and I have to face it alone. I will covet prayers because it will be hard and it will take a long time. But others have come before me and others will follow behind me.
Thursday, December 25, 2008
stuff away. We cleaned up what we needed too, than we got out our new Play
Mobile Nativity Set- which I cannot say enough about! We read the Christmas
story while the kids acted out the parts with the toys. I loved that we ended
our night with Jesus! A reminder to the kids and all us that Christmas is about
that tiny baby. Christmas is about the gift that was given for a larger picture!
Christmas is about Jesus. I know we all say we remember and blah blah Jesus is
the reason... but yet we still forget. We can have a perfect table or find the
best gift but if we dont have Jesus in our hearts it is all for naught.
I will be honest I am sad to say we did not say a grace at dinner, it
was of course slightly crazy and we didnt all sit down right at the same time,
but those are only excuses. One of my biggest resolutions of this upcoming year
and the days counting up to it is to remember to thank God- OUTLOUD. To say a
simple blessing over our food and day. To say a simple prayer for our family and
friends. To not allow this to be the part of the day I let slip by me, forgotten
This day, this season no matter when Jesus was actually born or
how old he was when the Wise Men finally did find him. No matter if you believe
this or believe that. No matter if you allow Santa to join in your festivities,
no matter if you have the greatest decor or the most expensive gifts. This day,
this season IS about Jesus and the gift HE gave to all of humanity.
Each of my readers I want to remind you today that Jesus did not stay a baby in a
manger, He became a man. He walked and talked on this Earth. He ate and slept
and faced what we face. He was tempted, He was taunted, He was shunned and He
was not given the benefit of the doubt... But still He gave the greatest GIFT
that could ever be given. His life.
Please remember and if you have not accepted this man to be a part of your life
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Pre post script (can you even do this???) I have read people post on the opposite of what I am posting about and I am not posting in response or posting to debate our opinion. I am honestly just posting this post for myself!
I hope everyone has a MERRY Christmas no matter what they do to celebrate!
When did "Martha become so bad??? Why do we down people who only want something to be nice? Why are the people who want to live by a certain set of rules of etiquette so bad??? I dont know when the tables got turned? I mean in the 50's if women didnt do all the things we deem "unnessesary" they were considered bad wives. Than we went and got all liberated and suddenly if we want nice trees, or crafty decor or matching gift wrap or a perfectly set table than we are trying to be SUPERWOMAN. I am not trying to be anything other than who I am... I like to make things pretty, I like to have themes, I like to put parties together and plan things! To be honest even when I slightly stress myself out about it, I still feel a kind of exhilieration that I dont get with anything else! I love when things come together how I evisioned them in my head. I love when I do someting that makes some one smile. I love when I make something pretty. I love when things are beautiful.
I dont wanna be supermom and I am not trying to be, I just like things this way! I am glad that I am hosting Christmas Eve this year... It is always just a little bit more fun for me and a little bit more exciting when I get to plan something! I thrive on it! This year I had less of a budget and I thankfully got to use my moms new dishes! So I think things have turned out pretty nice. We will have a good time. I have simplified and done less than I started out going to do but it is still beautiful and I love it! No I didnt go as far as Martha would but I still made my own art, my own happiness.
Just a few more thoughts on ettiguette.... do you tip these people????
Shampoo Girl $10.00
Manicurist/pedicurist $15.00 and up (usually whatever the price is of a basic service like a plain manicure - in fancy salons, consider giving more)
Hairdresser/stylist $15.00 and up (usually whatever the price is of a basic service like a hair cut - in fancy salons, consider giving more)
Mail carrier $10.00 for just showing up - more if he actually does helpful stuff like pay for the missing 33 cent stamp on your credit card bill envelope
Doorman/concierge $50 to $100 - and could be much higher depending on the building and the clientele.
Household help A cleaner (whether through a service or independent) who comes weekly or biweekly should get an amount roughly equal to what he gets paid each time he works for you.
Nanny or babysitter Full time nannies expect a generous gift - often approaching or equal to a week's pay. Babysitters should see anywhere between an extra $20.00 to $50.00 depending on where you live, how often she works for you and how desperate you are for her to sit on New Years Eve. Be generous with pet-sitters as well, but not to the magnitude of human sitters.
Newspaper delivery boy (weekly) $10.00 for just showing up - more if he actually does helpful stuff like bring the newspaper up your driveway rather than tossing it in a snowdrift.
Newspaper delivery boy (daily) If you haven't tipped him or her on a monthly basis, between $25 and $50
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
So my goals were:
have everything wrapped by December 18--- Not done by the 18the but was 98% done tonight! Yeah!
I have everything grocery shopped for--- hubbie is going in the morning for the last minute things!
I did choose items that I needed to bring carefully and I have gotten them except for one pie which hubbie is getting tommorow!
I messed up on the kids outfit but I had forgotten I needed them Sunday night! So they are at the dry cleaners ad will be picked up tommorow at 4:00--- I shall not forget!
I did budget for Christmas lunch but I doubt we will eat out as I have plenty of meals handy here at home!
I did tone down some ideas I had for Christmas Eve. It will be a fairly easy meal and than for dessert we will only have a birthday cake because Deanna's boyfriend's birthday is the 25 and I think everyone deserves a birthday party!
I have not done a fun activity every day but we have done quite a few and I have more planned for this week with Daddy home!
So here is the update on the goals... I still didnt do as well as I wanted but it is better than last year and I have no last minute gifts to get so that is awesome!
Friday, December 19, 2008
2. It is my goal to stay away from water. jj!
3. Over the holiday, I am changing my exercise goals to um walk around stores!
4. The way I will remind myself to make good choices over the holiday is that I pay for every choice, and New Years Resolutions are coming up!
5. My favorite ornament on my tree is my cranberry mickey mouse. (Hey, they can't all be about fitness!)
6. Of the progress I have made so far, my favorite thing is feeling accomplishment.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
For instance... Santa.
I dont believe in Santa or telling kids about Santa or pretending Santa exist. Now I dont care that other parents do.. I dont understand it but I dont care. What I care about is this...a mom sending out an email reminding people that some kids still believe in Santa and if you and your kids dont please remind your children to not say anything! Okay I was totally mad! I mean I do remind my kids to not tell other kids there is no Santa but I am not going to skunk around making sure my kids never say a word or ruin the LIE for their parents! I didnt send out an email that stated could you please stop asking my children, "What will Santa bring you for Christmas this year, they know Santa isnt real..." I mean people seriously try to convince my children that there really is a Santa and mom and dad just dont...BELIEVE.
If you have to send out a letter to parents to remind children that are already enlightened about the TRUTH than seriously arent you really perpetuating a lie. And is it right to force my children to basically facilitate that! I think not.
If you want to tell your kids about Santa I am seriously fine about that--I might ask in the midst of conversation about why I dont do Santa ask you why you DO do Santa but I dont really seek out this conversation for obvious reasons! But dont tell me to remind my kids not to spill the beans! They are kids and maybe just maybe they dont understand why parents are lying either? Maybe they feel bad for the kids whose parents tell them there really is a Santa? Maybe my kids want to NOT lie, something they usually get in BIG TROUBLE for in this household!
Just a few thoughts from the other point of view...
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
We had our annual Christmas Gingerbread making with the Grandparents! We have done this pretty much every year since Kate and Matt were little. I cannot remember the first time we did it, I will have to go back and look at the pics! Anyway, the grandparents get to help the kids put their houses together! Yeah! All the grandparents LOVE it! Well they love me so the cooperate!
Monday, December 15, 2008
strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls,
but do no show love to my family,
I'm just another decorator.
If I slave away in the kitchen,
baking dozens of Christmas cookies,
preparing gourmet meals and arranging
a beautifully adorned table at mealtime,
but do not show love to my family,
I'm just another cook.
If I work at a soup kitchen,
carol in the nursing home,
and give all that I have to charity,
but do not show love to my family,
it profits me nothing.
If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels
and crocheted snowflakes,
attend a myriad of holiday parties
and sing in the choir's cantata,
but do not focus on Christ,
I have missed the point.
Love stops the cooking to hug the child.
Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the spouse.
Love is kind, though harried and tired.
Love does not envy another's home
that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.
Love does not yell at the kids to get out of the way,
but is thankful they are there to be in the way.
Love does not give only to those who are able to give in return;
but rejoices in giving to those who cannot.
Love bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things, and endures all things.
Love never fails.
Video games will break,
pearl necklaces will be lost,
golf clubs will rust,
but giving the gift of love will endure.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
2. Real tree or artificial? prefer real but get fake because of cost!
3. When do you put up the tree? The weekend after Thanksgiving
4. When do you take the tree down? ummm sometime after New Years day and before Valentines! JJ
5. Do you like eggnog? NO!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I was trying to think of this the other day and probably my doll house furniture set from my Grandma.
7. Do you have a Nativity scene? No, but every year I say I am going to get one! I need to make it a priority!
8. Hardest person to buy for? Father in law- he just doesnt want anything. this year I have a list for tools!
9. Easiest person to buy for? my mother in law or sister in law! Either one is easy...
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Um Dave are you listening......I wont go there and that is your Christmas present!
11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Mail???? Me??? I am incapable of mailing. Almost every year I literally make Christmas cards but NEVER SEND THEM!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? White Christmas, The Holiday is a close second...
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? this year it was October, but only did a few things.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I dont think so but I am not against the practice.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? dressing, green bean casserole, corn casserole.....
16 Clear lights or colored on the tree? clear, clear, clear, clear.... did I say clear!
17. Favorite Christmas song? Wow, I have too many! Hard Candy Christmas- Dolly Parton,
Walking in a Wonder Winterland- Dolly Parton and anything Trans-Siberian Orchestra
18 Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home... but would travel in a heart beat!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Funny story... Is it Donder or Donner? I always thought it was Donder but we were on vacation and got pictures with reindeer and his name was Donner and I said isnt it Donder and they were like no I dont think so and I was like Oh, thats funny I always thought it was and they were like You are stupid!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus It was originally Dunder, than changed to Donder but some works have it as Donner....
So who is stupid???? Me or the people who have fake Santa Reindeer and dont know their real name. I will let you come to your own conclusion!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star. actually I have a snowman holding a star!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? One of a parents choosing on Christmas Eve and the rest of Christmas morning!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People who suddenly get religious.
23. Favorite Christmas tradition? Gingerbread house making with the grand parents! It is the only thing we have done consistently through the years!
24. Up early or sleeping in? Strangely enough my kids sleep in?
25. Who hands out the gifts? Whoever is closest to the tree.
26. Does Santa wrap your gifts? No gifts from Santa---yes, I know aghast!
27. Do you tell the Christmas story? Usually yes.
28. Do you leave cookies for Santa? Nope, again I know. AGHAST.
Tag, you are it!
Friday, December 12, 2008
Updated... I am not floating away but in the last few hours since posting I have downed around 24 ounces. I know that isnt much compared to the massive amount of water I should have but hey it's a start and I will continue consuming as the evening wears on!
I have nothing to say...I have no spiritual thoughts, no good choices I've made, no apologies. Nothing.
I have nothing to report...
I did hear from another blogger Mrs. A. Who told me how much water we are supposed to drink a day! I am blown away! Your weight divided by 2. That is the amount of ounces we should drink a day! Water only! No other liquids count.
I have nothing to say. But here goes my water count! I will update you later to day on how much I have gulped down! And if I literally float away please, please someone help my dear hubbie take care of the kids! He will need help!
Off to drink.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow
I long to
clear a path and lift a spade of snow
Oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow
Where it's snowing
All winter through
That's where I want to be
That's what I'll do
How I'm longing to ski
Through the snow-oh-oh-oh-oh
Those glist'ning houses that seem to be built of snow
Oh, to see a mountain covered with a quilt of snow
What is Christmas with no snow
No white Christmas with no snow
I'll soon be there with
I'll wash my hair with snow
And with a spade of snow
a man that's made of snow
I'd love to stay up with you but I recommend a
Go to sleep