Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Is liberation really so good???




Pre post script (can you even do this???) I have read people post on the opposite of what I am posting about and I am not posting in response or posting to debate our opinion. I am honestly just posting this post for myself!


I hope everyone has a MERRY Christmas no matter what they do to celebrate!


When did "Martha become so bad??? Why do we down people who only want something to be nice? Why are the people who want to live by a certain set of rules of etiquette so bad??? I dont know when the tables got turned? I mean in the 50's if women didnt do all the things we deem "unnessesary" they were considered bad wives. Than we went and got all liberated and suddenly if we want nice trees, or crafty decor or matching gift wrap or a perfectly set table than we are trying to be SUPERWOMAN. I am not trying to be anything other than who I am... I like to make things pretty, I like to have themes, I like to put parties together and plan things! To be honest even when I slightly stress myself out about it, I still feel a kind of exhilieration that I dont get with anything else! I love when things come together how I evisioned them in my head. I love when I do someting that makes some one smile. I love when I make something pretty. I love when things are beautiful.


I dont wanna be supermom and I am not trying to be, I just like things this way! I am glad that I am hosting Christmas Eve this year... It is always just a little bit more fun for me and a little bit more exciting when I get to plan something! I thrive on it! This year I had less of a budget and I thankfully got to use my moms new dishes! So I think things have turned out pretty nice. We will have a good time. I have simplified and done less than I started out going to do but it is still beautiful and I love it! No I didnt go as far as Martha would but I still made my own art, my own happiness.



Just a few more thoughts on ettiguette.... do you tip these people????


Shampoo Girl $10.00

Manicurist/pedicurist $15.00 and up (usually whatever the price is of a basic service like a plain manicure - in fancy salons, consider giving more)

Hairdresser/stylist $15.00 and up (usually whatever the price is of a basic service like a hair cut - in fancy salons, consider giving more)

Mail carrier $10.00 for just showing up - more if he actually does helpful stuff like pay for the missing 33 cent stamp on your credit card bill envelope

Doorman/concierge $50 to $100 - and could be much higher depending on the building and the clientele.

Household help A cleaner (whether through a service or independent) who comes weekly or biweekly should get an amount roughly equal to what he gets paid each time he works for you.

Nanny or babysitter Full time nannies expect a generous gift - often approaching or equal to a week's pay. Babysitters should see anywhere between an extra $20.00 to $50.00 depending on where you live, how often she works for you and how desperate you are for her to sit on New Years Eve. Be generous with pet-sitters as well, but not to the magnitude of human sitters.

Newspaper delivery boy (weekly) $10.00 for just showing up - more if he actually does helpful stuff like bring the newspaper up your driveway rather than tossing it in a snowdrift.

Newspaper delivery boy (daily) If you haven't tipped him or her on a monthly basis, between $25 and $50






4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think maybe, (and I am not sure about this) the difference is why you do it. If you do it because it makes you happy, or to go the extra mile for your family or friends, then I think its awesome.

I think I protest when its done "competively", with an "I am so much better than you attitude". I love Martha, too much really....Its okay for me until I lose the sense of fun and feel pushed (by myself, not anyone else) to do more than would be "fun".

Tipping I don't know about... I don't usually go and tip my hairdresser when I am not getting my hair cut, but maybe I wasn't taught correctly?

Gretchen said...

I think I agree with Jennifer - the reason why you do what you do is the important thing. Me, I would probably do it to try to have other people say, "Oh that's nice." but no one would say that, and I'd get all bitter. I think nice things are nice, if you enjoy doing them!

And, all the tipping? Oy vey! I mean, I will tip for some things, but I just hafta ask: shouldn't a person just do their job well, and that's enough? I mean, wait staff get tips because they make less than $3 per hour. But all those other people, they make well over minimum wage. I think it's appropriate to give them a "gift" if you want to, but not necessarily money. It could be cookies, or homemade jam, or a craft you've made, or even a gift certificate for a service you could provide. I think it's become too "expected" for these things... kinda like the whole "expected" present exchange at work, at school, etc.

Jennifer said...

See, now that i read your list, I'm wondering if the mailman keeps "losing" my mail or having it returned to me chewed up by the machine because I never even considered tipping him......

I do agree with TexanMama, I think perhaps the whole tipping/gifting is a bit out of control

Brenda said...

I don't know about these prices for tips! Could that have been written by someone who wants more money??? :) But I have been thinking about manners and etiquette lately. I think it is totally a lost art. Been to some houses over the holidays where the people just flat out did not know how to host.

I need to read up and teach my girls some of this stuff!