Sunday, August 17, 2008

To be frugal or not to be...

That is my question for the day. As I look at a dwindling bank account, which everyone I know has one. See if this scenario fits your world. The shining day, the beacon of light (cash) that streams into your checking account balance, and moves the number (out of the red :)) into black. An impressive black number that has no idea what is about to happen. The computer screen turns on and that beacon of light is slowly filtered away, sent on an never to seen from again journey through cyberspace to places with name like YMCA, StateFarm Insurance, United Healthcare, piano classes, art classes, Krogers, Chevron, EZ Tag, Target and of course the big giant Reliant Energy! Familiar story???

Every two weeks I see the same thing happen... so I asked myself! (drum roll) How can I Carrie Thompson, wife of hard worker Dave Thompson be more frugal? So I turn to the Internet, I type in Frugal living... I see squash and my hopes plummet. Is squash my only means of being frugal? Oh wait, it is only a recipe to cook your squash! Okay, Carrie keep reading, so I scroll down the page. A FRUGAL CHALLENGE... these words are exciting, I like a challenge. So I click on it and the challenge is... maintain your house! The premise being if you take care of your stuff
it will last longer! I know that but I want short term frugal living ideas, not if I clean the vent to my dryer it will last me longer. So I keep reading (after reminding myself and DH that the air conditioning vents to need to be changed- it said so on my calender a month ago!)

Reading more, reading more all stupid ideas. Yes I understand if I grow my own squash (yes it some home wound up being about squash again!) It will cost me less and I will save money. Plus I will make money off my book entitled 1001 to use squash! Yeah good idea ( will work on later!) Okay, so all the ideas seem to me long term. I understand that if I grow cotton, next to the squash) I can pick the cotton and make it into cloth and than I can sew my own clothes! But I am not going to do that! I understand that if I attach a hose to my washer with a bucket behind it that I can capture my own water source ( go green!!!reuse water!) and use that to water my garden ( did you get I am back to squash) but I am not going to do that.

So what is a girl to do... I guess all I can do is get used to squash???

What do you do???

2 comments:

Brenda said...

What an ODD google search! :) The things I always find when I look up frugal ideas (that would be twice a month) is grocery store. If we eat home every single meal and be very careful with the grocery shopping it makes a difference. We already have the air high, fans on, lights off, blinds closed, extras cut out...it's horrible! Groceries is the only way I've been able to make a difference. There are tons of frugal recipes online! Like, meals that cost under $2.00 for a family of four!

And of course, they don't all involve squash.

Gretchen said...

Hi Carrie. I wanted to share just a few frugal ideas I've come across:
1. consider ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef. It is more healthy and often it is cheaper.
2. try really really hard to get creative with leftovers. Like, don't just serve leftovers but make something with them. Like, if you have baked chicken breasts and carrots on Monday, then on Wednesday, take one extra chicken breast and cut it up, add water and a few bouillon cubes, half a chopped onion and those carrots from Monday, and some noodles (spaghetti works fine) and you will have homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner on Wednesday. Last week I used chopped up leftover meatloaf along with onion and garlic and breadcrumbs and cream cheese to make stuffed mushroom caps. It was yummy!!! Get creative!!! Good Luck!