Friday, May 21, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid...

Okay, so this is popular. My kids wanted to read it, I asked around and a bunch of moms are like oh yeah... its just funny, kindof gross boy stuff.
Well because wisdom comes with age... and I have been down this road before I of course decided to read for myself.

So I read. It is more than funny, kindof gross boy stuff. The boy is mean spirited, makes fun of almost everyone, is disrespectful about his parents and is almost cruel. I understand that kids might have some of those thoughts but NOT all of them. He is ugly in his "diary" about his friends even.

One of my favorite books of all time is Harriet the Spy. She also keeps a diary and spy's on people because she wants to be a journalist, but she gets caught and has to truly make amends. She also wasn't TRYING to just be mean like the wimpy kid books, she was writing down what she saw with her eyes. So I give it the big THUMBS down and definitely it is banned at the Thompson household. As far as the movie... it was banned even before I read the book!

So Matt came into the room and asked me what the decision was because all he knew was that it was a really funny book. So I told him we would talk about it in a minute. Dave and I sat down with him at the table... I opened the book and started reading, chapter 1. At the point where he calls his friends and schoolmates MORONS... Matt's jaw literally dropped open.

NEVER HAS A SIGHT FELT SO GOOD!

Next I skipped ahead to where he talks about not getting to listen to the parental warning labeled Cd's that his stupid parents wont let him get and how he is going to get to listen at his friends house if he can sneak them out.

AGAIN JAW DROP!!!!!

It is a sweet and satisfying feeling that my son was mortified without me saying a word... just him hearing the words was enough to turn him off.

We talked for a few more minutes basically the I know "so and so's parents let him read this and that is okay but we are gonna choose differently" speech. Matt totally agreed and said he just wanted to hear the funny jokes. So we borrowed sisters joke book and took turns reading jokes... he laughed and laughed!

We will empty our library of joke books this week I am sure!


Sigh... another big mistake that I didn't make! Feels good.  Feels really good!  Doesn't happen so often!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

And you just saved me from making that mistake, also. I was going to let Savannah read it. She is my "moral meter" child, so I am certain she would have told me it was bad. But you just saved her from reading it and I thank you for that. Somewhere amongst about a thousand books (no joke) I have a copy of that book that I picked up for dime. At least, it did not cost me much. It'll have to go back to Goodwill.....

Brenda said...

Yep. Sweetheart wanted to read this badly. We found out you could read it online so we started to. I read the first chapter and thought "eh." She read the first chapter and then part of the second and said, "Mom. I'm gonna go play, OK?"

Never heard about it again. I think our kids have good taste.

Carrie Thompson said...

@Shannon--- glad to save you the wasted time and energy!

@Brenda--- isnt that an amazing feeling!!!!

H-Mama said...

I'm with you... I read some of it at the store to see what all the buzz was about. Was not impressed. Thankfully, my lil' bookworm wasn't really interested anyway... So many other great books to choose from. ;)

Carrie said...

I picked it up at a book store and skimmed the first part... and also thought it wasn't really funny and was mean. I agree with you on this one! ;)