Saturday, May 15, 2010

Do you have a mission statement or a vision statement?

I have 7 topics of discussion for hubbie once he gets home. These are pretty heavy subjects and will not all be debated or discussed at one sitting, but over the next few weeks time. One in particular of these topics is the vision for our home school. We started with a vision and although I believe we have kept the foundation of the vision I think the motive and other parts have changed. They did not change because they were wrong simply the matter of growing and age differences and a normal amount of change in philosophy as we learn more. In fact I wont say they changed I will say they have morphed.

So I want to re think them through, make sure we are on the right track. I want to make sure that we are thinking the same way, have the same goals and that we are truly working towards those goals instead of floundering and just doing things because we should!

This is from Charlotte Mason- whom I sometimes agree and sometimes disagree with but I do believe that she had a very strong vision! I believe in so much of her way of teaching in theory but seem to have a hard time transcribing it to our life.

So she says...




"It is not enough to teach reasoning, logic, we must have knowledge of character, of principles, of God most of all, because "without knowledge, Reason carries a man into the wilderness and Rebellion joins company." A well read person will be familiar with "Men and their motives, the historical sequence of events, principles for the conduct of life, in fact, practical philosophy, is what the emergencies of the times require us to possess and to be able to communicate." "These things are… are the gathered harvests of many seasons' sowing of poetry, literature, history."


                                                                      ----Charlotte Mason (vol. 6)


Isn't that powerful! It sums a lot of our vision up in one little sentence! No schooling or book learning is useful without God at the forefront. It is all for naught! I am not raising my kids to be part of society. That is not my end goal!

I want to sow many seasons of poetry, literature, history, character training and the study of Gods Word into my children!

If things that I am teaching or doing aren't meeting that goal than I want to rethink them. Maybe it is just tweaking, maybe it is a total change, maybe it is simply re evaluating how I look at something and seeing that it really is meeting the goal we have set.

But I want it down on paper. I want to go back and see the words I have written to remind myself!



Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.
 ~William Wordsworth


See if I write it down and later when things are hard and I am not depending on my heart to lead me but my mind-- which is tired and cranky, I can go back and read it and be reminded what my heart wants...




No comments: