Sunday, June 13, 2010

Today...new church.

Well we tried the new church.

GARDEN OAKS BAPTIST CHURCH

We went to the 11:00 service which is their contemporary service.

The praise and worship was okay, they are still looking for a full time music pastor so it might change some after they find the right person. The men and women currently doing it are doing a wonderful job though. It is just different from what Dave and I are used. It was a mix of contemporary songs and some hymns which I enjoyed, but it just lacked something... I have to think on that some more.

The Pastor, Jim Daniels, came right up and introduced himself. He was very, very nice. He is kind of a hands on pastor, more pastor than teacher, which is what we are desiring! We have had more teacher than pastor and it doesn't work as well for us.

His sermon was great, very well laid out executed. He isn't afraid to step on toes, which is needed! He also came back up to us at the end and thanked us again for coming!

We got really brave and decided to go back to the church at 3:00- they were showing "Fire Proof" as part of a marriage class that was starting at 5:00, so we went. I was actually really surprised by us, but we jumped in with both feet!

The class was really good, we are of course going through the Love Dare Challenge, I like the people leading the class and the Pastor is there too. It was a great time. We felt pretty comfortable there.

The kids are signed up for VBS which starts tomorrow.

I also got the paperwork and curriculum for the kids to do a Sunday evening class that is sort of like AWANAS, but a little more relaxed on the scriptures and adds more how to approach- giving them ways to put the scripture to use in their daily life. Plus it focuses on a quiet time daily with a devotional. I am pretty excited about this as I wanted to do an AWANAS program and could not find one near.

Oh and get this--- you know how I am a helicopter mom (I hover over my kids too much for most peoples opinion), well the children's leader is a home school mom and totally gets it!  That is a total blessing!

They also have a meeting on WED. I am not sure what the kids do that evening but I guess we will find out come WED! The adults are doing an intensive study on Prayer which looks pretty good.



So that is the update on the church situation here....this is the church I originally felt we would go to even before we actually moved, maybe it just had to be in God's timing?  Yeah I am sticking with that!






4 comments:

aneisa said...

I am so jealous- we are struggling with church right now...I'm so glad you found a place!

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

Yay, I'm happy for you! If you come up here sometime you can see our church :)

Did you like "Fire Proof" ? We watched it soon after it came out and thought it was pretty good. We thought about buying the Love Dare book and going through it but we're in a couple's Bible study now.

Carrie Thompson said...

@ Aneisa-- finding a church is such a struggle! I will be praying that you find the right place!

@ Sarah-- We did enjoy Fire Proof... the message was amazing. The 40 day Dare is pretty good too. We arent writing in our books so maybe we could send them to you when we are done!

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

That would be cool!