Monday, February 14, 2011

Because he preached...

So yesterday's sermon was on anxiety!  Yes, I needed to be in there for this message.

Three types of anxiety-

natural anxiety (1 Kings 19: 5-6)

He told him to eat, rest and recharge.  Our bodies get wound up and need to sometimes STOP.  We need to take care of our self physically.


normal anxiety ( 2 Corinthians 11:28)

This is Paul saying he is anxious for the church... sort of like you being anxious the first day your 16 year old drives off in the car, or the birth of a baby, or a tornado spotted a few miles from your house.

debilitating anxiety (Matthew 6: 25-34)
this is the verse on why worry for what you eat when even the birds don't and it just is the kind of anxiety where we are concerned about things, or should I say overly concerned with things that don't matter or that we should NOT concern our self with! 



NOW... I suffer from all three of these and even the normal amount of NORMAL anxiety for me is a lot of times blown dreadfully out of proportion. 



Cures for anxiety:

Not making our lives dependant on things- Matt 6:19

Not forgetting how important we are to God- Matthew 6:26

Not worrying about that which we cannot change- Matthew 6:27

Making my relationship with God the most important passion in my life- Matthew 6:33

Living one day at a time- Matthew 6:34


What I would have said yesterday is something flippant like "easier said than done", but that leaves the sin at my door!  It is easier said than done assuming I am trusting God.  I am not saying that I will never be anxious again--- I am prone to it!  But I need to remember or be reminded about what the WORD says regarding anxiety and I am responsible for keeping it in check.

That is on me.

God allows human error--- we all make mistakes, all the time.  But it is not an excuse for me to say or think that I cant not become better.  To worry less, or be less anxious. 

So for instance when I went into an eye exam today for me and the three kids, I did not expect to hear that my youngest has Strabismus, an esotropia.  I didn't expect to hear that I need to make an ophthalmologist appointment and possible have eye surgery in our near future.  I didn't expect to hear about patching and therapy eye wear or vision therapy. 

Nope I didn't. 

But. 

God is in control- he cares more for her eyesight than even I do!

I cannot change this for her- God can heal her.  God can give wisdom to the doctors treating her.  But I cannot change this situation.

I will take this situation one day at a time.  I will carry on....

I will have a normal amount of concern for my child looking at a difficult situation.  I will learn all I can about it.  I will pray for peace and wisdom and healing.

But I will not debilitate myself by being overly anxious. 

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. Im sorry to hear this....but very glad you heard this message yesterday. I don't know anything about this but I shall be reading up on it.

Julie said...

I know it doesn't always help to know that others have come through this type of diagnosis and been just fine, which I know many people who have, but it usually helps to know that you are not on your own. And you are not. ((((Carrie))))

aneisa said...

I am right there with you. I worry too much! Prayers for your family are coming your way.....

Lisa said...

I too struggle mightily with anxiety. I appreciated this post, although I am sorry to hear about your daughter.

I wanted to also respond to your request for bread recipes! The one that I have decided is my favorite is actually from another blogger friend. The post where she shares the recipe is

http://pennyrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/02/
rhondas-grandpas-bread.html

I did change it by adding some whole wheat flour and I also added some wheat gluten (because no one here is allergic to it!) and that made the loaves nice and light and tall. Have fun with it!