Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Great Spring Purge....this is the starting list anyway

It is that time again people... spring cleaning.  I.E. the Great PURGE!

I love purging.  I love spring cleaning.  I LOVE throwing stuff away- but alas I WILL box things
up to go to the thrift store.  I promise!  This will take me a number of weeks... but I like to get it

all OUT there on the world wide web for some accountability!  Oh and I LOVE using the

scratch thru font!  SO. MUCH. FUN.

What are some of your spring cleaning tasks???  This list is all purging for the most part, I need to create a seperate list for actual cleaning things that are not the NORM around here.  I am sure there is ONE of those on the internet.. right!

To Be Done list:


girls room
headboard for Kate
bulletin board on back of shelf
clean out books
make list of books that she has (number in series)
finish shelving in girls room- get MOST out of space
buy more boxes for organizing
new over the door shoe holder (3) over sized ones



living room

move TV to living room
take down curtains and dry clean
take off couch cushions and dry clean
clean under couch curtains
hang pegs behind door for kids bags

school room

move desks in school room
paint shelf black -- possible move shelf to bathroom
redo bookshelves in school room- revamp organization etc.
move out books no longer needed
change out posters etc
set up reading area

clothing

go through kids clothing
take out MOST winter!
seasonal clothes- jackets, rain jackets, boots, gloves etc  make sure are all in drawer
store seasonal things that I need to keep
send clothes to people who can use them
donate old blankets, sheets torn towels to SPCA


shoes-

seasonal
fit
need



Bags

go through bags
purses
backpacks- looking for tears
unwanted
unnecessary


books:

cull through books that can be packed for other years
go through multiple copies of books that I don't need
get rid of books that are for younger kids
go through curriculum that I KNOW we will not use
go through fiction books
go through Christian living, helps, home schooling books
buy new book case for school room
rearrange bookcases once the new ones have been brought in
reorganize by subjects: History, science, fiction, current read alouds for the year, extra reading

Toys:

throw away any that are broken
find ways to organize what we kept
Get rid of unused, unwanted, baby, or repeat items


my room:

hang pegs in bathroom for towels
hang towel rod
replace curtains with white ones
replace boxes on shelves with IKEA ones that fit
redo closet, hang second rod
clean out bottom of closet
put shelf in hallway- use for additional storage


Personal items:

go through and organize, cull and find a place for
papers
keepsakes
go through organization paper box and organize that!
make an address book
finish my home management binder

Furniture:

fix anything in need of fixing
arrange to use more functionally


Decor:

go through general house decor and get rid of anything that is not longer "ME",
get rid of stored decor that I no longer want
decide on paint colors and work toward being able to paint
re go through stored boxes in storage- make sure everything is labeled correctly stored.


Supplies:

get rid of multiple supplies that are unneeded, i.e. staplers, hole punches (do we need 3 or 4?)
organize current supplies
update stock (i.e. need mailers, stamps, staples, rubber bands etc)
update cleaning supplies
get a holder for underneath kitchen counter
get a holder for underneath bathroom counter
buy clear container to hold additional cleaning supplies


Pictures:

organize
scan in what I want
get negatives in one place
get a back up of current photos
scan scrap book pages and determine what I am keeping
organize current photo files and archive if needed
order pics that I have been wanting to order
change out a few pics of family in the frames in the living room OR add frames





DVDs

determine if they are scratched beyond being usable
alphabetize them
separate school, computer games, CDs from movies
return any that I know are not mine
put all CDs on computer-



Music on Computer-


make song list for IPOD
change movies out on the IPODS
update syncs between IPODS and both computers



Misc THINGS:

fix things that have been broken that I keep meaning to "get to"
send clothes to menders
if keeping find a home for it!



Vehicle:

clean out suburban
take shots, post on Craig's list etc.
replenish cleaning supplies for truck
get carpet cleaned in both vehicles




Bills and banking:

find better way to organize paper that I need to keep for a while
set up automatic bill pay for bills we can
change automatic savings on bank account
start account for kids
cull through stored "papers" and shred what is not needed anymore


Electronics:

go through wires, plugs, chargers and get rid of unneeded
organized kids electronics- find common place to charge
get games in one spot
buy recharging station for Wii
buy box for Misc Wii items
cull through games- sell if do not use
buy electronics cleaner and clean keyboards, screens, dust inside
find new alarm clock that fits needs better- LOUD!





3 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow--that's quite the list! I hope you are able to get all the things accomplished that you want to!

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

Yeah I'm pretty tired reading your list...lol If you have any good books send them our way ;) I will be cleaning/purging/organizing over Spring break

laura m. said...

I purge/donate clothes at end of summer and winter if not worn end of that season. Books: I have donated quite a few to group homes, church libraries, senior centers, friends. I rarely buy books as I use the internet. Sheets and towels can pile up over time. Extra's went to group homes in my area last month. Ditto for kitchen stuff which is the worse room in house for accumulating "stuff".