Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Back to normal... my random thoughts

It doesn't feel like things will get back to normal for a long time. I know our power will eventually come back on, and I know that we will not always have to wait in a line for an hour and a half to get gasoline, and I know that you will not always have to go into a store hoping you got there in time to get bread or ice because they had ten pallets delivered that day, and I know that it will not always feel like "the usual thing" when you drive and see neighbors hauling those red gas cans to and fro. I know that, but for right now that is our normal. Did I lose my house, NO. Did I lose any family members, NO. Am I complaining, NO. I just want to say how I feel and that is normal, but its not normal. Get it?

We came home today and we are blessed with a generator and have even gotten it hooked to a neighbors fridge so they have that. We had limb damage, fences, shingles, possible water in the attic ( that is still unconfirmed for some reason) nothing bad or unfixable, certainly not much damage in the face of such a terrible "threat". We have some lights on, and fans. We even got to wash our clothes today!!!!!!!! We had a gas dryer, so as long as we dont wash and dry at the same time than we can use them! Yeah. Clean UND***. You get my drift and let me tell you that is a BLESSING. Seriously. I had a shower with hot water, and feel clean!

I have friends who are still evacuated, friends with out roofs, friends without a house, friends with the remains of a house... many people in serious conditions. But God kept each and every one of them. they are safe and for right now have food, water and clothes on their backs. We will help in any way we can.

Today was my grandpa's 80th birthday, we celebrated with a cake, that we found in a Krogers with no lights on! It was a blessing! We had princess party ware, leftovers from a different party... and you know what we had a great time! It was weird and not normal but who cares, we celebrated the 80 years he has live in Texas and think of how many hurricanes he has survived!

I am using my hubbies work Sprint card as we still dont have Internet or cable or anything like that but I will update as I can. I have so many thoughts running around my head! I have only watched local TV in the last few days and wonder what is going on in the rest of the world and what the world is saying about the Gulf coast. I think our mayor and Judge Ed Emmit have done a wonderful job and need to be commended, those men along with so many city workers, police, military, volunteers everyone have been so wonderful and I am proud of my city! We have had some problems and people should have evacuated when they were told but other than that I think we have done a great job and our leaders are doing awesome!

I will let you know as I began to feel normal again...

Carrie in a recovering Texas

Thanks to all those who sent their thoughts and worried about me and my family. I really, really appreciated it just wanted to say thank you so much.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Carrie, is there anything you need that I can send you? I can't mail you milk or bread, but I could certainly send batteries or UHT milk or crackers or pencils for schoolwork, etc. Just let me know I would be more than happy to do it.

Rhonda said...

Carrie: I was so glad to get your update. You have been in my prayers and I am so happy that things are as good as they are. I know it is still a good ways from normal life but God has truly been faithful.
I loved the story of the B-day party for your grandfather. What a wonderful blessing to celebrate in the midst of all of this.
May God continue to bless you all.
~Rhonda

Rachel Harris said...

Hey there

We got power back Tuesday around noon. . . it has definitely been an interesting experience. If you still don't have power, please let me know if you want to come hang out here for the weekend... we have the room and it won't be a problem -- really! I am sure you have other friends offering the same, but just wanted to extend the invitation here in Tomball :-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.