Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's coming...

Updated post*******
The winds are not going to be as bad as we thougth, but the storm surge is going to be worse! It is coming in at the west end of Galveston and it is already cresting teh sea wall, without the surge!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be really bad.*********



It is getting bigger, not stronger, just bigger. It is unbelievable how large this storm is getting. They say that that right now and now meaning at least 12 hours before landfall, it is 100 miles of hurricane 120 miles per hour winds, and 225 miles of tropical storm winds possbibly 70-80 miles per hour winds. That means we will have wind over possible 70 miles per hour for over a 24 hour period if the storm stays moving 10 miles per hour. I didnt do all the exact math for that equation but it is pretty accurate give or take a few hours. Anyway, that is alot of wind! I hope it dies down a lot when it hits and does not sustain itself for very long! This storm is big!


I was 5 when Alecia hit but I dont remember anything other than being at my great grandmothers house. We always evacuated to Nennys house, she lived the farthest North and had gas so she was the host. I remember it being great! Granny brought all kinds of junk and treats and we played and had a good ole time. I remember taking a bath in my Nennys tub, it wasnt like a clawfoot tub or anything but it was pretty old. I remember it having a strange smell ( I dont mean dirty or yucky) just undefinable now in my memory. The drain had a little chain attached to it and I think it didnt hold water to well. (okay I just had to call my sister to confirm my memories! She said it did have a little chain that was attached and that the faucet's were the old fashioned kind. She said they were hard to turn and rusty and I remember that now. I also asked her about the smell and she said it was Camphofenic, which I totally remember. I loved my nennies house, it was older and had a hall between the two bedrooms with a little shelf that held a phone and I guess a phone book. I also liked the doors that had old knobs and the bathroom and kitchen cabinets had little knobs that turned and you could open the door, the knobs were oval and it felt neat to turn them...this is all child hood memories! We played every Sunday afternoon at my Nenny's house, every Easter, every hurricane. I remember somewhat vaguely everything about her house because it is wrapped up in so many of my child hood memories.

This post took a turn but it was a good turn because although it made me tear up as my Nenny passed away over 5 years ago, it brought back many happy memories too!



1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I am keeping you in my prayers. I've been watching news of the storm and it looks like it is going to be bad.
Stay safe-update when possible.