Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lesson plans...am I equipped???

Okay, Brenda @ The Family Revised posted about lesson plans. I started typing in all sorts of question and decided this is a post for me! Now Brenda was a teacher... I mean a "real" public school teacher. She was a teacher who went to school and was taught all sorts of 'tricks' for teaching young uns! I am jealous of those moms who home school their children and have all this schooling! I know that it doesnt always help them, I understand that I dont believe the public school system works, I know that Brenda still struggles with her children and schooling! So why am I jealous??? I dont know, I just am so the secret is out!


I always question myself. I question the curriculum choice, I question the method, I question my sanity for thinking this is okay. I question every aspect of home schooling! Why, you ask, why would such a big mouth proponent of home schooling question it? Because I do not believe in myself or my abilities. I am just not that smart.



I talked to my sister this morning and she doesnt feel at all jealous of these people.

My sister feels the opposite of me, she feels like it might work against a teacher to become a home schooler, she feels like they have to throw the majority of what they learned out the window. She feels like there might be aspects that are useful but for the most part it wouldnt be overly helpful.


God doesnt call the equipped he equips you??? So just because these teachers are equipped to teach a class full of children does not mean they are equipped to teach their own? Or does it mean since I am not equipped He will equip me? O does it mean He will equip each of us for what we need equipping for??? I go with number three. He just equips each of us for what we need equipping for. So why all the questioning and fear???



I was reading the newest Lori Wick book. It is called Jessie and is pretty good. There is a part where one of the characters is possible miscarrying and the husband is going to get the doctor. He had taken his son with him to get the doctor. Later he was recounting the story to his congregation and his sermon went something like this... I wasnt exactly hurrying but I did want to get to the doctor quickly and the longer it took to get there the more panic I began to feel inside. But my son was in my arms and I had a thought... my son does not have any fear. My son is just as happy as he can be in my arms, he has NO fear that I will drop him. It probably wouldnt even occur to him that I would drop him. So why would I think any less of my Heavenly Father? He has no intention of dropping me, so I do not need to fear. He is holding me. I am safe....



I really liked this analogy. I mean what business do I have questioning my Heavenly Father. He has called me to home school. He WILL EQUIP me. He will not equip me to teach a school full of children. He will not equip me to make lesson plans in a particular method. He will not equip me to preform brain surgery in my spare time. WHY??? Because He does not need to. He called me to school my children, and to be a wife and home maker. HE is equipping me for that job.



I know this post went in circles but I really worked something out and that is what is important.



What do you fear that you shouldnt? In what way is God equipping you???






2 comments:

Brenda said...

Gosh, Carrie--MY head is spinning now.

And by the way, your sister is CORRECT!!! I threw more than 1/2 of what I "knew" out the window when I started this. It is NOTHING the same. I've had to learn a whole new language.

You are doing a great job with your kids. You don't have to be a "teacher" either. You are "mom" and that is better!!!

Dana Leeds said...

I enjoyed your post. And, I was a "real" public school teacher, too. I don't think ANY of it is helping me homeschool. God will equip us for whatever He's called us to do. Praise God! :-)