Sunday, October 12, 2008

Everything is just a choice...

Do you know what takes up most of our day? Choices. Everything is a choice. What we eat. What we drink. What we do. How we react. Who we call. Who we dont call. What TV we watch. How we handle our children. Where we drive. What we get done. It goes ON and ON...


We are just constantly making decisions, choosing. How do we ever know if we are making a good decision or even the right decision. Do you assume you made the right decision if things turn out okay or good? What if you had made a different decision and things could have turned out even better?

I have said before that there is no right or wrong choice, just a choice. But obviously we make wrong choices ALL the time. I have made millions of bad food choices or I wouldn't be so overweight. I have made tons of bad choices in the raising of my children (hey can I still correct that?) and probably will make tons more. I have made bunches of bad financial choices and am constantly paying for it!

But are they just bad choices or mistakes? What is the difference?

I think the difference is heart. I think the difference is intent. I had a discussion with a relative the other day about our decision to not read certain books or see certain shows. I have such a hard time with this! I mean we havent cut out all books and shows and sometimes our decisions to watch one show or read one book contradicts with our choice to not read a certain book or see a certain show. But my heart to make a good choice for my kids is absolutely at the forefront of my decision. I want to make the best choice. I struggle to make the best choice even though I know sometimes it will be the wrong choice.

So bad choices are inevitable.

The real critical moment comes when it turns out that you made a bad choice, that you deal with it and turn it around.


3 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. Deep thoughts by Carrie tonight. All I can think is: "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." James 1:5

And as for the bad choices/mistakes? Grace.

Amen.

Gretchen said...

Hear Hear. AWESOME post, as usual!

Heather of the EO said...

I read this before and thought I commented. Oh well, I will now!

Yes, what texan mama said,
awesome post!

I've been thinking a lot lately about choices. This is just so well said.

Thank you,
Heather