Monday, October 13, 2008

On this day in history...

Although I am grateful to Columbus for his mistaken route and inevitable finding of the wrong "continent", this is not who I am going to recognize today! I am giving props to Al Capone! It was on this day in history that Eliot Ness (although this is not proven, there is a possibility that Ness never even met Capone) got Al Capone on TAX EVASION. I love the 20's! I love gangsters, bootleg liquorr, Tommy guns, mistresses, the "Family", Chicago, pin stripped suits, armored cars! I love it all! I have always felt drawn to it! I love reading about the Valentines Day massacre, thinking about Las Vegas back in 'the day'! So I am going to talk about this day, the day the "man" was taken down, by a pencil pusher!

To be fair Eliot was an awesome man in is own right, he had righteous anger! He really didnt take down Capon, Frank Wilson did. Frank Wilson was a member of what is now called the IRS. During a search of a warehouse a desk with papers were found and Frank came up with mail fraud because they could not nail him on any other conviction! Capone served around 7 years in prison most in them at Alcatraz (which I desperately want to visit!)

Before Capone was imprisoned although he was the leader of this ruthless band of gangsters... considered himself an important part of the community, in fact he considered himself a leader of the community! He opened clinics to help ward off Rickets and during the Great Depression he opened up soup kitchens. His club, The Cotton Club, was visited very often by Bing Crosby. As the years passed by with more and more violence becoming known to the citizens, Capone became less of a celebrated figure and more commonly known as Public Enemy Number 1.

You wonder why I would choose this day in history and his life to celebrate, but its not about being proud of him or what he did or how he acted...its just a fascination with a man and this time period just simply amazes me, it was surreal.

No comments: