Sunday, October 24, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up-Week 13-13

Since school has been on and off... here is a wrap up of some stuff from each week.. KINDOF AN OVERVIEW!
We got caught up on ALL ABOUT SPELLING, I am really enjoying learning all the rules.  I just DO NOT remember learning any of this stuff... not that I didn't, but I can't remember it.  So I am as usual learning right along side my kids!   I bought THIS container to store my magnetic letters in.  So when we started spelling today the kids set up the letters really quick!  I might eventually use a magnetic board but not right now.

Math U See is going well--- no problems right now!  YEAH.
Actually Emily IS having a little problem with money but we are getting it!  I decided to set up a store for her to work on counting money!


Everything had a price tag on it and she had her money and had to bring me EXACT change for her purchase.  She ended up doing pretty well, so MAYBE we are over the hump!  If not I found some online games to play when we start back up to school next week.

Memory Work--- we were working on The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost but the kids really don't like it so much.  So I decided to find a fun poem instead.  We did however read the Frost poem and discuss about it and the kids drew an illustration of what they think the road not taken looks like.

Writing With Ease... we honestly have NOT done this every day although I should because it is so simple!  I like having my copy work all laid out, decided for me!  The worksheets have both an easy or hard copy work example, this way I have Emily and Matt (who likes doing the least amount of printing he can) do the easy one and Kate does the harder one. 

We do additional copy work in First Language Lessons, science, Bible and sometimes history.

In Bible we finished up Joshua, the kids drew the town of Jericho and drew Rahabs window with the red cord.  We also watched Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible: Joshua and the Battle of Jericho


Matt did a Lego scene!

We are well past past Jericho now.. the Israelites have been making the sun stand still, killing giants, tricking neighboring villages and dividing into lands for each tribe... BUSY people!


We have finished reading Gulliver's Travels... it was a good read, but  kind of a hard read!  We talked a lot about political satire-- which crosses over to history as Ben Franklin was big on political satire!

We have started THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER..

We read a Ben Franklin book called Magic Squares ( all the numbers in the grid add up to the same number, diagonally, horizontally and vertically)   and the kids and I worked one out of the book then I asked them to work on their own for a while.  Matt and Kate whined and fussed, Emily copied the book proudly and finally Matt brought me his final copy....


SMART KID.



 it was funny how excited he was when it came in at the library!


I have a list of books for the kids, it is from Classical Christian Education, I have had the list for over two years but got serious about working through it mid way through the 2008-2009 school year.  I try to focus on the books that match with our school year but also choose some just because books.

So far this school year year Matt has read:
Columbus by Ingri
Hundred Dresses
Pilgrims of Plimoth
Sarah Morton's Day and others
Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrim
Three Young Pilgrims
What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin
All- of- A- Kind Family
Ben and Me
Cheaper by the Dozen
Cricket in Times Square
Daniel Boone and other biographies
Five Children and It
Phantom Tollbooth (stopped said it was really boring)
Stuart Little
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (abridged)
Adventures of Tom Sawyer (abridged)
Jungle Books (abridged) but we have done unabridged as a read aloud
Robinson Crusoe (abridged)
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (abridged)



Kaitlin has read:
Ben and Me
Black Beauty
Black Stallion
Cricket in Time Square
Little Princess
Pinocchio
Rainbow Garden
Story of Dr. Doolittle
Stuart Little
Thimble Summer
Heidi
Little Women (again)
Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrim
currently reading NATIONAL VELVET
started an abridged version of The Scarlett Letter- but said it was too much.


and I have read all of these to Emily:
And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street
Caps For Sale
Little House and the others
N.C. Wyeth's Pilgrims
Story of Ferdinand
Green Eggs and Ham
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Put Me In the Zoo
Benjamin Franklin
Pilgrims of Plimoth
Sarah Morton's Day and the others
Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims
Three Young Pilgrims
Who's That Stepping on Plymouth Rock

We obviously read a WHOLE lot more than just these but I wanted to share from the actual list.

We had a break from both science and history for the whole week... but I did have the kids play Sequence, work on State flashcards and we spent some time playing on these websites:


 


The kids participated in Sketch Tuesday with Harmony Art Mom
this weeks assignment was: something you use to treat a cold.  I don't really dig that assignment and we missed last weeks so we are doing IT instead!

Something you find in CHINA.

( sorry I lost my pics for this!)


I decided that I would take some crafts to Garner like I always do but didn't have a lot of money to spend.. so I needed to use what I had on hand and keep within a budget of about 10-15 dollars.  There were 6 kids on the trip so I had to come up with craft supplies for 6 kids.

I went over my 15 dollar budget when I RE BOUGHT Watercolor pencils- but I bought a big set plus a whole set of pastels and ALOT of that is Kate's bday present!

Here is what I found:

Deep Space Sparkle-- Fall leaves
Fall Leaves in tissue paper
Mosaic Cornucopia
Perler Bead Bead-- leaf
Candy corn basket
Leaf People I also read Leaf Man with this craft
Rock and Roll art- marble art (I decided to put silhouettes of camp items and use the marbles over them)
Spoon Pilgrims
Fall Leave Painting-- working on perspective
Contour Leaves
Pasta Skeleton
Crayon resist leaf
Fall Tree Reflections- this is really neat!


So that is our wrap up. The plan when we come back from Thanksgiving Break is to get back on board for some REAL work for the next 3 weeks!  I have a goal of posting for Weekly Wrap up each Friday so I will GET done what I am supposed to get done!  :)






No comments: