Monday, April 18, 2011

Frustration abounds...

So Kaitlin's IEW today was fun. She needed to take a vocabulary quiz.

Here are her words:

reverently
askew
persevere
perilous
endeavor
contemplate
appalled
presume
subside
pillar
frivolous
secluded
resolve
gravity
transfixed


She missed quite a few, but when I asked her questions about each word she knew what I mean.  It is almost like the description they gave were meant to mix them up?  Do you suppose that is true?  I mean is that they want they do on SAT's or other achievement tests?

For instance, the definition of transfixed was motionless with amazement or horror-- she answered appalled.

I told her amazement or horror could be appalled but the MOTIONLESS was her clue word.

Also for pillar-- on her vocab card it showed a picture of an actual pillar-- and it said straight.

But the definition it gave on the test was.. one who strongly supports a cause.
We simply talked about a "pillar" of the community etc.

BUT I don't really understand it.

We will apparently be spending MORE time on vocabulary! 

Should I have her look up each word and write down all the definition?  I don't know how else she could have been prepared for PILLAR?

Hmmmm.

I have thought about adding Wordly Wise with her work next year- actually both Kate and Matt's work.  I figured it was just a simply way to work on their vocabulary!

What do you do???

2 comments:

Sarah Haney, M.A. said...

That's a little strange...When I learned new vocabulary we had to copy definitions and memorize them. I don't think it make a big difference though, the best way to remember was to simply USE them. But then how often do you say pillar? lol

H-Mama said...

what exactly are you following in IEW? what i mean is... are you using a theme book? or??