Friday, April 8, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up---Week

Monday---

We started off the school day by watching an episode of Daniel Boone.

 

We did :
math,
handwriting,
handed out new reading assignments for the week:

Kate- The Borrowers


Matt-Just So Stories

Emily- The Bears on Hemlock Mountain



Writing with Ease,
FLL2
and FLL3.

We started our next bible lesson: David disobeys God.  I always have a hard time understanding this story!  I know that David was as sinful as I am... but it is just a hard story for me.  I always have the attitude of disgust towards David for "messing"  up the way he did, vs the GRACE God had for David and myself!

We watched this animated video of King David.


We started our next science chapter--- two more to go.  This week we are learning about GERMS!

The books we read for this chapter are:

What Are Germs





Germs by Ross Collins--- very, very cute read!



We went over our history review cards and worked on our states.  We also worked on the presidents!

We also went over the Mozart biography

... I had Kate and Matt read it and we started a timeline of his life.  We also started a lap book

Mozart lap book
Mozart color page
Classics for Kids website

Tuesday---

We did:

FLL2
FLL3
Writing With Ease
Memory Work

Math

Science- we finished up the second crossword puzzle. 

Bible- we finished up the story of David and Bathsheba- I went a little more in depth and had a good lesson on why women should be modest and girls responsibility and boys responsibility to shield their eyes. It was a good talk!

We worked on our Mozart lap book and listened to a few different sonatas  .  The kids seem to enjoy listening!



Wednesday---
We started Solomon in Bible-

We did:

Math

Science class as the museum:
Food Pyramid, Food chain and Dissecting craw fish!  FUN

We started the Magic Flute, but it was in German and we just couldn't do it.  I am trying to order it in English or at least with subtitles.  Dave walked in as we started it and on his way out his attitude was basically.."sorry you are having to go through this Carrie- thanks for educating our children!"

This isn't the one we tried to watch, I cannot find a pic of it.

We also are watching King Solomon's Mines (for fun) but I opted for the one made in 1950.  I MIGHT let them watch the other one but haven't decided.  :0)



Thursday...

We got a late start today... I don't know why, but we did.  It's all good though!  Once we got started we really hit it hard, minus a break for lunch (my mom came to take us out to Hickory Hollow- a favorite bar b q place in the Heights)

We did:

math
FLL2
FLL3
Writing with Ease

Kates vocabulary test for IEW-

Matt started a new book- The Lost World  by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (abridged version)  I think I am going to give him the unabridged one and see how he does...

Matt also did a writing assignment- he didn't finish it so we will show it next week

All three kids spent time on Typer Island:


We also are starting a baking unit, a way to work on measurement with all three kids!  We wont finish it this week though.

In looking for my baking stuff I found this website, it is cooking across America a recipe for every state--- very neat!


We finished up our Science questions ---only ONE chapter to go!!!

We did memorization
Bible- Solomon and his wisdom...

We also worked on our Mozart lap book, we are adding a quick study on terminology for writing music.

Emily is going through her easy readers ONE last time before she gives them away (mommy takes them out of her box!)  She is very excited!

And that was our Thursday!

Friday...

We got up and going.
We left to meet Brenda so she could do a reading test on Emily-- just to see our progression from the last time she tested, which was a little over a year ago.

She has mad GREAT strides and this momma is HOLDER HER BACK!  I need to step up the game for the girls and quit assuming she cant read "x"! 

 While Brenda tested Emily, I got to help Sweetheart (Kaitlin and Sweetheart really did it on their own) dissect an owl pellet and see what the owl had eaten!  YUM YUM!

After our own lunch- of NOT MICE--- we headed to my sisters to do history!

We read the Constitution... yes I know my three children under age 13 having read the Constitution.. SHOCKING!  That might be more than some congressman have done!  :0)  Everything else in history will be followed by a history post--- I've got lots of books to list! 


We finished up our art study of John Singleton Copley.. we are using this book to study American Artist!


We started science at Amy's but really just everyone was done so we will finish the experiment here over the weekend. But we watched THE GERMINATORS


and we are growing back bacteria with this kit from Steve Spangler Science...
We will be able to show our bacteria growth on next weeks wrap up!  AND we will be done with science minus another class at the museum!  YEAH!

SO that was our week-- busy as usual! 

GO check out everyone else's week at Unsocialized Home Schooler!





1 comment:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Wow~you had a great week! I love all those books you family is reading. And thanks for the link on the Mozart lapbook. We are doing composer studies as well and I'm always on the lookout for great resources.