Friday, July 18, 2008

Conflicting Quotes...

It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you
would lie if you were in his place. ~Henry Louis Mencken, A Little Book in
C Major, 1916

Those who think it is permissible to tell white lies soon grow
color-blind. ~Austin O'Malley


If we were all given by magic the power to read each other's thoughts, I suppose
the first effect would be to dissolve all friendships. ~Bertrand
Russell


The highest compact we can make with our fellow is - "Let there be truth between
us two forevermore." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of
what is kind than I am of what is true. ~Robert Brault

Today I was at lunch with some friends... Kate told a boy that his picture was okay and his feelings were hurt because she hadn't told him it was good. I asked Kate why she hurt his feelings and she said she just told him the picture was okay, not that it was bad or anything. The other moms and I began a discussion about lying.

I had already talked with Kate the other day about "white" lies verses "monster big" lies. I explained the conversation to the other moms and got their input about "white" lies.

This is the conclusion I came to. What do I tell my children to do when the "need" to lie presents itself...i.e. not hurt someones feelings. I decided that I will teach the kids to find something positive. For example the earlier picture that Kate said was okay, was a picture of a penguin, she could have said, "Oh I like that you used blue, or I like how his tail curled up." When asked do you like my new purse, and you think it is hideous, you could say oh, " I like the length of the handle, they are so hard to find!" When asked do you like my new haircut, " Oh I really like that you have it so short in the back."

Just find something positive... even if you really, really dislike something you can find something positive to say. Basically it is Pollyanna and the Glad Game all over, but not about being ungrateful, but about being honest.

what do yall think?

Carrie who is honestly in Texas