Monday, July 14, 2008

To plan or not to plan...

Procrastination is something best put
off until tomorrow.

~Gerald Vaughan

This is my new motto! Of course I write this in my blog while procrastinating about doing other things I need to do! I am chronic! Okay, you don't know but I stopped blogging, got up and started my laundry! I also got the kids started on their morning jobs and pulled the sheets off my bed to wash them later...yeah now I am sitting back down!

Why do we procrastinate--I say selfishness, laziness, all the bad things we are that end in "ness". I of course don't want to be that way and I am certainly not always but the past few weeks I have absolutely been procrastinating in the area of the kids school work! Not a good thing to procrastinate with! Now I tell myself--we are taking longer breaks in the summer, we can do it later after..., if they learned something on the Animal planet than that is good enough for today! (Don't tell me you've never thought it!)

You know the old saying, "Fail to plan, plan to fail." Well I think that saying is just plain not accurate. Yes I agree you have to have a plan but so many of us homeschoolers PLAN but don't follow though! Don't tell me you don't!!! We have grand plans, we buy the stuff, we plan our year and "dum de dum dum dum" I think we just twiddle our thumbs...while surfing the internet, reading blogs we are addicted too. Or sign them up for so many outside activities that we are tired and don't school! I know I do! I will do great for a while, than I don't..

So my plan is to plan how I plan! I will devise a plan for when I don't maintain my plan. I will plan a way to plan in a way I can accomplish! Sound like a good plan!

I will set actual days off, though out the school year, I will give myself whole weeks off here and there. I will make myself do my job! The bonus is that I am posting my week in review on this blog--Amy here is the accountability part! So if you don't see my week in review, shoot me an email and ask to know what the kids did this week! Hopefully I will have only procrastinated about posting the review and not about doing the work!!!

Ex procrastinator in Texas

No comments: