Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ringing in the new ..... throwing out the old.

We stood outside at 11:59 last night all five of us together and as the clock struck 12:00 we whooped and hollered.. Dave and I smooched (as Emily reported) and we rang in the new year.... we have a very low key new years eve... no party, no games, no themes!  We had my friend Becky over and some Mamma Mia's pizza and that was IT.  I was so good with that!

But I am even better with it being NEW YEARS DAY.

 I don't suppose there are many ways that you can physically ring in with the new and throw out the old besides MOVING.  We are all up to our necks with ringing in the new and throwing out the old!  Everything either has, is or will be moved!  Closets have been emptied and are now slowly being filled again.  New routines and methods must be formed- quick!  Change, change, change.

I am excited.  I mean of course for the space, of course for having all my stuff unpacked, of course for the kids getting their own rooms.. but mostly because it means settling and routine.

We have had pretty much zero routine since September.  We got here and settled in best we could and we did school, I made a chore chart we designed a place to hang coats, put our shoes.... but it is not enough.  I CRAVE schedule, routines, meal plans, coupon savings, budgeting sheets, school days, curriculum being finished, a place to put everything, organization...

I. am. so. excited!

Today however is all about the cleaning, moving and arranging.  I also need to finish printing out a few worksheets for their "worksheet" week and pick up a few things for our Little Woman unit study for this week...

I am making lists.  I have three ongoing ones right now and about to start a fourth plus one for each of the kids and a HONEY DO list for Dave.

I am putting things in place- knowing things might be changed around again as we find better ways of using space or a different need arises.... but for now things are being put in PLACE.  Slowly.

I do feel overwhelmed, but it is almost a good overwhelmed... does that make sense?  I kindof like that there is so much to do. I will get tired of course and the "overwhelming" good feeling with turn into something else... but right now we will stick with GOOD FEELING.  :0)

I have great plans for this year- I always do!  Out of the plans change will come---some plans will come to fruition.. some will NEVER get off the ground, some will fizzle out.....  but regardless change will happen.

Well here's to change--may it be the change I am looking for and may it be productive!



We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential. ~Ellen Goodman







No comments: