Saturday, January 24, 2009

My new prayer...

So I have been struggling dealing with an issue basically since my children were born!

Discipline...

I now you all do! I am sure none of you have it figured out! If you do, I'll buy you a cup of coffee if you will just TELL ME!

We have tried this and tried that. We are fairly consistent. We dont let the kids "get away" with stuff all the time...

But yet, we do not have obedient kids!

Now I have good kids compared to some, but I am not comparing! I want obedient kids.

I know BIG DREAMER!

But really I do want obedient kids, I do want to trust that my kids will do what I ask or other people ask. I know every parent wants that.

I used to get really irritated when a parent had "given up". Do you know who I am talking about? They couldnt MAKE their kids obey so they just stopped trying! What is that about?

Well I just dont give up very easy! So I keep trying different techniques to attempt to curb my kids disobedience! That is not working.

I know BIG SURPRISE!

So I am looking to scripture... now that is not to say that I havent looked to the scripture before but I am going back to some roots. I have a big problem. I dont obey the scripture so how on earth can I expect my kids to! I am told in the scripture to have a

meek and gentle spirit

Well I dont.

I yell. I raise my voice. I am ugly. I blast people.

I dont want to be this way, I have tried so many times NOT to. But I cant seem to help myself! If I as a grown adult cant control my actions why should I expect that of my kids???

So my morning prayer is looking like this..

Dear God,

I pray for peace over my family. I pray for YOUR quiet spirit to lead me in all my actions today. I pray that you will keep my tongue from saying things that you would not have me say. I pray that my actions will show you and that they will allow my children to see YOU through me. I pray that you will bring to my mind the scripture that will help me in each and every situation I come across during the day. I pray that you would give me wisdom in dealing with my kids. I pray that you would send them gentle reminders to choose obedience each and every time. I pray that you help ME to show the same grace that YOU show me every day! I pray that you instill in me a meek and quiet spirit. I pray that as I seek to know You more that I will learn to have self control and to think on good things. I pray that you will be in charge of our household and in all decisions we make.

In Your Precious Name,

AMEN


Feel free to ask me throughout the day if I am being meek and quiet, and if I am being an example of HIM.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I'm praying with you.

karly said...

So, how did you do? I only ask because I understand all that you said. Especially the part where how can you expect them to obey if you don't obey God? Yeah, that's me too.

Praying for you, Carrie. Keep us posted on this one. And, if you find the secret, I'm coming to Texas to take you out for coffee so you can tell me your secret! :)