Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Um... can creativity please come out to play...


I am a very creative person, I love unit studies or themes of any kind! When I am given a theme to work with I am just happy! I know that sounds silly but it's true. I feel like I have kind of shut down that part of me and I just let it come out to play for certain events.



Well I have come to the very obvious conclusion that this is part of my problem! I put myself in a box- I just guess I didnt think I could get out of it!




Well I am lettin' all kinds to "me" out to play. I have devised a plan! I shoved all my school books in their OWN little box!- minus math which they will do daily and possible phonics (still wiggle room on that)

We are officially starting our fairy tale/ princess/ knight unit study. The kids voted and this one won hands down!



I am putting it together today and will tweak it I am sure in the next few days but I feel really good and the kids seem really excited!

We begin today by starting the book The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Wintrop.



We also begin coloring the card stock walls of the toilet paper castle that we are going to put together...


I got a ton of books from the library!

I plan to incorporate:


Bible

character training
spelling words
writing exercises
crafts
activities
books
movies
history

FUN, FUN and some more FUN

Also as my big thing I am starting the curriculum for the Princess Kiss and the Squire and the Scroll. I have the books, color book for each child and the lesson plans for each book. I am very, very excited about this. I have had it for quite a while but I just kept not doing in because of my BOX!

So thank you Jennifer- for inspiring me and reminding me to be creative and myself!

So thank you Brenda- for many, many idea and also encouragement!
So thank you Amy for helping me to talk it out and work it out!
and thank you Texan Mama- for not being a home school mom, you sure had great idea and I am incorporating the Teach ME day with the kids!
Oh and DH= thank you for letting me "change" stuff even though I told you when I bought my stuff that this was really, really, really what I wanted...I really had researched it!


So if you see any Damsels in distress over reading or Knights who need to know how to spell chivalry... send them to my castle!

5 comments:

Dawn E said...

Awesome! I can't wait to hear more...please continue to share. This is, in fact, the true beauty of homeschooling, right? Hope you all have fun and enjoy!

Carrie said...

that sounds like so much fun!!!! Have you heard of KONOS? They have a cool castle unit...this sounds just like it!

Gretchen said...

I am so glad you're figuring it all out.

Brenda said...

Yea! I'm glad you broke out of your school funk. I over-theme sometimes and then, like right now, we just get back to basics for a while. But after a few weeks of that, I'll be itching for another theme. The thing is, I don't think I have to do one or the other all the time. Now THAT'S freedom!

Your unit sounds like fun, fun, fun!

Jennifer said...

Carrie, I am so excited for you! I know how awesome it is to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel!

Hey when do you want me to bring you the KONOS unit?