Monday, May 2, 2011

1000 Places to See Before You Die-- or just ONE....

"Isn't it here? The Wonder: Why do I spend so much of my living hours struggling to see it? Do we truly stumble so blind that we must be affronted with blinding magnificence for our blurry soul- sight to recognize grandeur?

All my eyes can seem to fixate on are the splatter of disappointment across here and me.

I close the bathroom linen closet. Pick up a brush to swish toilets.  I don't need more time to breath that I may experience more locales, possess more, accomplish more.  Because wonder really could be here- for the seeing eyes.

So -- more time for what?

The face of Jesus flashes. Jesus, the God-Man with his own termination date.  Jesus, the God- Man who came to save me from prisons of FEAR and GUILT and DEPRESSION and SADNESS."
this is from ONE THOUSAND GIFTS... by Ann Voskamp.

It is in the first 10 pages.

I don't think wanting to see the Grand Canyon is bad, I don't think longing to see your little girl in a wedding dress is wrong, I don't think wanting to watch a sunset over the ocean is ungodly.... but I do think that we put way too much emphasis on it.

 I think we make THOSE things, those sights, those emotions, those feelings, those experiences TOO important.. we assume it will give us joy.  WE assume that it will feed something in us.  WE assume if we see it, touch it, feel it, experience it... that IT will do something, change us,  make us better, enhance our life in some way.

Which it can... but not at the expense of THE FEET OF JESUS. 

How much time to I spend planning a vacation, a childs birthday party, an outing with the family, a unit of study--- all things that are wonderful. Each of things can make us happy, it can allow us to feel peace in a way, it can let us love more, it can help us teach better..

BUT it cant BRING TRUE PEACE, JOY, LOVE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS.... THANKFULNESS.

That is found at the feet of Jesus.

It is a sacred place--- it is not glamorous in the worldly sense.

 It is not expensive in the worldly sense. 

It is not listed in the top 1000 places to see before you DIE.

BUT yet it is the number one.

IT glamorous because it is with the MOST imporant person.

IT is expensive because it cost a life.

The feet of Jesus is where I need to be and yet where I am so rarely found.


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I appreciated this--thank you for sharing your thoughts, and the quote.

Lisa said...

I appreciated this--thank you for sharing your thoughts, and the quote.

Renee said...

Beautiful words. Loving Ann's book, too.