Sunday, May 15, 2011

What do you see in my face?

Websters Dictionary:

Definition of COUNTENANCE----


1. obsolete : bearing, demeanor

2a : calm expression b : mental composure c : look, expression

3archaic a : aspect, semblance b : pretense

4: face, visage; especially : the face as an indication of mood, emotion, or character

5: bearing or expression that offers approval or sanction : moral support


The Joyful Chaos did a post the other day and mentioned her countenance.  She posted a picture that showed her neutral face--- not really happy or mad but not really joyful or indicating pleasure!  I have a neutral face too... it is not necessarily a pleasant one.

The dictionary doesn't just say that countenance means expression--- whatever expression it is, whether bad or good... it defines countenance as being a good expression.  An expression that lets people know you are open, welcoming, kind, at peace, that you can help, that you want to help, that you will take time for them, that you want to hear what they have to say....

IT is more than JUST looking nice for a few minutes.

How many times a day does our countenance SHOW THAT???


Not often.

I read in Ann Voskamps book 1000 Gifts---an infant psychology test was done and babies were shown two side by side pictures- one of a kind looking person and one of a not so kind looking person.  The babies spent over 80% of their time looking at the kind person.

They know kindness, love, acceptance, peace when they see it.  The gravitate toward it, without being fed, or held, or hearing kindness in a voice--- just the sight of TRUE countenance is enough to prompt them to want to look towards it.



NUMBERS 6:26

The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.'



Just the mere glance of the LORDS countenance gives you peace. 

What does your countenance say? 

I know mine says:

irritation,
you are not that important,
frustration--- that is my right because of what YOU did to ME,
anger,
tiredness
and impatience....


I think that it is not something I can WORK on... like dieting or not yelling, I think I have to get my countenance from inside---  just like out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  Perhaps it is the same with countenance--- out of the abundance of the heart the countenance speaks...

I mean I can paste a smile on my face-- I can FAKE happy, helpful, kindness.

BUT I cannot fake true countenance....it is a reflection of Gods face.









3 comments:

Gracie Parker said...

Exactly. And that's why it bothers me so when I see the pics of me. No good. But I'm (somehow) glad I'm not the only one that struggles with it. I want it to change so badly.

aneisa said...

I like this!

Lisa said...

This hit me pretty hard. I mean, I'm glad you posted this because I think I really needed to read it. Definitely something I need to work on!